Monday, February 3, 2020

Attributives in dialogue


I normally stick with "he said" and "she said" to keep things simple and transparent to the reader but wondering about questions. Is "she asked" and "he asked" appropriate when a character asks a question? Can "he said" and "she said" be okay attributives for questions?



Answer




'Asked' is generally not considered a said-bookism by most editors and readers AFAIK. In fact, I always use it when a character is asking a question. Because something like "'But how can that be?' he said." sounds wrong to me.


An aside related to comments on @LaurenIpsum 's answer: I only use the following:



  • said - always

  • asked - always for questions

  • yelled, called - only when the scene won't work if the character delivers his line at normal volume

  • interjected - when one character cuts off another mid sentence, but even then, rarely.


Edit: I also use "replied" occasionally.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...