Tuesday, February 11, 2020

technique - How credible is wikipedia?




I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but...


If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a research project (for example) would the information be correct? I know that anyone can go on there and edit it, but the Internet has other invalid information that isn't on wikipedia. I'm thinking that over time as an article matures on wikipedia, it would have gone through a large amount of edits and be correct, but I could be wrong. The reason I want to use wikipedia is because all of the information is consolidated in one place with references.


I do believe that I should use google to search my information (which I do) and might come off as "lazy". This question may be closed because it is off-topic as well.



Answer



Do /not/ ever, under any circumstances use Wikipedia as a source for an academic paper. Because it can be edited by anyone and there is nothing validating Wikipedia's articles, they're highly unreliable and not acceptable in any professional or academic circles. Internet sources in general are frowned upon unless they come from professional or academic sources - colleges, academic journals, government studies, etc.


That's not to say Wikipedia is entirely useless. It's a great starting point. It can give you a great overview of a topic and help you get a basis for your paper/project/whatever. And the best part? Lots of it is sourced, so you don't have to go find information for yourself. If you want to say That George Washington did not return to military life until the outbreak of the revolution in 1775, that's fine. But instead of citing Wikipedia, click on the source and cite the source that Wikipedia uses.


4 comments:

  1. writing this article.
    When I view your RSS feed it puts up a bunch of garbled text, is the deal on my reader?
    Soft Trending

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sam I know what your mean. In todays economy its difficult to find a job that pays good enough to live on and is stable . I have discovered that if you just work hard and are consistent you can go places . Look at the author of this page , they are oviously a hard worker and have just been
    shopbymark

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering if you ever considered changing the layout of your blog? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or two images. Maybe you could space it out better?
    Good article, I Just Love Hello Kitty BTW!!!
    shopbymark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honest, and believable post. I frequently share relevant information and updates with my colleagues.

    My Interests are:
    Assured Composite

    Composite Cladding

    Composite Decking

    ReplyDelete

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...