Sunday, August 19, 2018

non fiction - How to write a memorial plaque?


I've been tasked with drafting the text for a memorial plaque dedicated to group X. Group X was big, diverse, and had several hundred years of rich history. Amount of space I have is 2-3 sentences.


I don't want the memorial to be yet another "a whole bunch of people died in the Holocaust". I'm looking to give group X some individuality. But how do I do that in so little space?


Ideally, what I'd want the memorial to represent is "there was a whole bunch of history and culture bound up with group X, and we should remember that, not just that # people were killed".



On a memorial to a single person, one writes that person's main achievement. If it's to an event, like a battle, it can be summarised too. But what do I do with a big group?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...