Sunday, August 19, 2018

What is considered an acceptable length for a technical document?


I have written dozens of technical and requirement specifications, and edited dozens more in 8+ years of engineering. The largest I have drafted was perhaps 100 pages, but maybe 30-50% of it was diagrams and tables. Most were anywhere from 5-25 pages.


My current position has documents that, if removed from the database and printed out, would be twice as long as War and Peace (I did the math). That is one supplementary document for one particular feature in one particular system.


I want to know if there is a standard length that is considered 'usable' for a technical document. I would prefer to have documents broken down into smaller chunks, but I don't know that I could convince my current employer that this is something they should pursue unless there is some data to back it up.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...