Wednesday, August 29, 2018

information - is better to use price ranges displayed with $ symbol or actual prices?


I am building a web restaurant listing, and I am concerned about the clarity of the message between the design simplicity of showing price ranges like http://www.fodors.com/world/south-america/brazil/sao-paulo/restaurants.html , and more detailed price range http://supervegan.com/find.php?by=price or medium price 25$


What is it the best way to give useful information? Give an hint about the price, or showing the price clearly?



I feel that there is a danger of putting off the user with clear price, but as the same time I prefer to be transparent. So I looked for some data on internet, and I didn't find anything useful to help me and take a final decision.



Answer



You could combine both, like Disney does for their resorts and parks. I think as a consumer, I like to see the actual price. What one consumer may think of as expensive, another may not, or one may see more value in something than the other, therefore the more information you can provide, the easier it will be for users to gauge what they perceive the value to be.


If I'm using Fodor's site and want to plan an exciting night out, I might look at a $$$$ restaurant but not realize, until I get there, that I can only afford a $$$ location. Plus, high-end restaurants (and other establishments) tend to not put prices on menus for people to see ahead of time.


Save your users the stress and anxiety, show them both, let them search and filter on both.


// No scientific research, this is simply opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...