Friday, August 17, 2018

creative writing - Capitalized opening lines



I've noticed that novels and short stories nowadays capitalize the first sentence.


Example (This is from Joe Hill's Throttle):


enter image description here


Two questions: 1) What's the font size of the capitalized text (right now my normal text is 18px)? 2) Is it common to do this with stories that open with dialogue.


For example, I have a story which opens like this:



“What?” Eri said, eyes narrowed. “There was an earthquake last night?”



I think it looks a bit ugly:




“WHAT?” Eri said, eyes narrowed. “There was an earthquake last night?”




Answer



In your example, the font size is the same, the capitalized part is done in 'small capitals'.
In my experience, the practice is rare. I wouldn't bother, as it does nothing to improve legibility.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...