Wednesday, August 29, 2018

May I use Google Fonts for creating a logo with commercial purposes?


I want to create a logo for a contest, the winner will be paid and the winning logo will be the institutional logo of an academic entity, so I need a font which can be used freely or at a cheap cost for commercial purposes.


I see that Google Fonts are delivered as "free fonts" for websites:


May I use them freely for graphic design products (a logo in particular) as well?



Answer



Yes you can.



From About Google Fonts (emphasis mine):



All of the fonts are Open Source. This means that you are free to share your favorites with friends and colleagues. You can even customize them for your own use, or collaborate with the original designer to improve them. And you can use them in every way you want, privately or commercially — in print, on your computer, or in your websites.



Note, that text has now changed on the about page...


All Google fonts are however still free and open source (mostly, possibly exclusively, licensed with either the SIL Open Font License or Apache License 2.0).


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...