Wednesday, November 23, 2016

gui design - Should the "home" button in my app stay there even when the user is on the home page?


I'm developing a web app to be used on mobile devices. I use a home button in our status bar to return to our "home" page. When on this page however, the button will have no function. My question then is what is the best way to handle this now unusable home button? A few options I've considered:



  • making the home button invisible or removing it on this screen, though I don't like the idea of something that's there 95% of the time magically disappearing on users.

  • Changing the appearance of the button to have some sort of indication that it's disabled, perhaps an X through it or have it greyed out.

  • Just leaving it there, and letting users realize that when they are already on the home screen, this button has no function.



EDIT: I'm aware that the common convention now is to use the site/company logo as a "home" button. Without diving into specifics, this simply doesn't make sense for my application. Thanks for all of the input so far.



Answer



Imagine this for a second.


The UX logo for this site disappears on the home page, but then appears again when you're on any other page other than the homepage. It wouldn't be a good experience.


So, keep it, people are accustomed to the "home" button being there constantly. Especially if your homepage has dynamically generated content, because people use it sometimes as a "refresh" function.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...