Wednesday, November 23, 2016

gui design - Two search bars on the same page or combination?


The main use of my site is video browsing. There is a search bar in the nav to search for videos. My site also has a photo section. I need to add search functionality on the photo section. I'm torn between:



  1. Having 2 search bars. The one in the nav for videos and one towards the top when browsing the photo sections.

  2. When browsing the photo section, the nav search bar only searches photos. (Don't think this is a good idea..)


  3. A multiple select search.. So a dropdown next to the search bar that lets users toggle between video and photo search. When browsing photos the default selected is photos.



Answer



I vote for option #4.


A search from the main page should show mostly videos and a few pictures to hint to the user that there may be more content types on the site than they realize.


If they're searching from a picture page, show mostly pictures but a few related videos as well.


mockup


download bmml source – Wireframes created with Balsamiq Mockups


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...