Monday, March 27, 2017

mouse - Easiest cursor move?


In relation to making a pie-menu.



I've tried finding research on this, but to no avail.


My reasoning is this: Put the most used features at the easiest places (although putting opposites.. opposite each other (i.e. Undo & Redo)).


I suppose this might vary between different pointing devices, but that's not a problem. Separate statistics for different ones would be preferable.


Mouse and touchpad are probably the most used ones, although I can still accommodate for others as well (trackball, pointing stick ++) in the software's settings. ("Using a trackball? This is probably best for you")



Answer



For a mouse, horizontal movement to reach a target is usually faster than other directions (which can be seen as easier). There is a nice illustration of this phenomenon in a paper by Whisenand and Emurian 'Some effect of angle of approach on icon selection' (figure 1).


Thompson, Slocum, and Bohan (2004) add to this the factor of gain. Higher gain particularly benefits longer amplitutes, larger targets, in a horizontal direction.


I don't know about research on other devices, but I'd expect the same patterns.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...