Tuesday, March 14, 2017

ux field - So are there "standards" for UX?


I'm establishing a new UX unit in our organization, and whenever I try to introduce something, I get asked about "standards". You know, questions like "So do you have any standards that you based this on?".


I've been in this field for a few years, and I don't remember seeing any "standard" that everyone is supposed to follow. I've seen design patterns, which could be seen as kind of a standard, but even those might differ from library to library.


So, are there any standards that we all are supposed to follow? If not, what references should I use to base my work (in front of them at least).



Answer



They are asking one question, but they mean another. What they mean is: I don't trust you. Can you show me that someone else said this? Someone who published a book or study or something?


Engineers have ancient tomes that describe programming patterns and standards. They would like design to be the same. They want to see you have read books. Get a stack of the right books and put them on your desk. Psychology, human factors, design, etc. Any book to make them trust you have been educated by big brains. The $300 expense will be well worth it.



You might even want to read them. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...