Monday, November 20, 2017

exotics - What Positions on an Underlier CANNOT be Hedged with Vanillas?



Say I have infinite precision of strikes $K$ (continuous world $dk$) and expirations $T$ (continuous $dT$) all with liquidity (so no practical limitations). What positions in an underlying can't be replicated? I'm under the impression I can replicate any European payoff, so if I had infinite expirations I could replicate really any position.



Answer



Any non path dependent European type payoff $f(S_T)$ can be replicated in a model independent way with vanilla calls and puts provided $f$ is twice differentiable (in the distribution sense). This is a consequence of the Carr-Madan formula.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...