Saturday, November 25, 2017

fiction - What Genre Category for a Semi-Fictional Memoir?



What genre do these types of Memoirs fall under? "Inspired by true events?" ... Is Semi-Fictional Memoir a "thing"? I definitely don't feel that "fictional autobiography" fits.


I have been writing a lot of short stories that are Memoir-ish, that are based on true events in my life. Because I don't remember every detail, I tried to make some parts of the stories obviously fictional. But, in some stories, it isn't so obvious that parts are fictional. I feel that making it obvious in some stories would be intrusive, and undermine the tone.


I am hoping that applying the proper genre label would be sufficient.



Answer



From Wikipedia:


Autofiction usually has a protagonist using the author’s name and combines autobiography with fiction. One famous author of autofiction is Margurite Duras.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...