Tuesday, November 21, 2017

usability study - How to discover what users NEED and not what they WANT?


I have been thinking a lot about my favorite quote from Henry Ford:



If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'Faster Horses'. -Henry Ford



The trouble I have been having is that I know how to make something usable, but I am an innovator at heart, I have to be trying something new.


So what is the way to discover what users NEED and not what they just WANT?


If I do a user test the way I do now, I get their reactions, wants, and desires, which are rather predictable 9 times out of 10. But what I am having trouble with is digging out their needs.



Answer



Make sure that you focus on goals.



Don't ask what your users want or need in terms of functionality or form. Find out what they need (or want) to achieve .. that way the parameters you use to define and solve the problem will be much clearer and focused.


Questions to ask your users might run along the lines of;



  • what they need to achieve.

  • how they currently achieve 'x'


then



  • moving on to find out what makes current methods difficult.



Don't carry out user research for solutions - research problems


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...