Saturday, November 11, 2017

fiction - Is it OK to add chapters to slow down the pace of the story?


Example: I'm writing a story where the protagonist is searching for some information. She searches for it at her university, and fails. After that chapter, however, she finally finds someone who leads her into the right direction.


This was OK, but I thought: "Well, that was too easy and things went too fast. How about I add a second obstacle to the protagonist before she finds the right way?" So that's what I did: I added another chapter before the university chapter where the protagonist tries her luck at the library (note: this is just the beginning of the story).


Now, I'm aware that you shouldn't add chapters just for the sake of adding them. But I wonder, is it permissible in cases like this?


(By "OK" and "permissible" I mean adding value or improving the story).




Answer



Personally, I would say another failed attempt will only be enjoyable for the reader, if it adds more than a mere slowdown.


You are hungry and on your way to lunch (= the reader is full of suspense and wants the protagonist to succeed). On your way to lunch your boss wants a word with you (= you insert a chapter into your novel). Will you enjoy talking to your boss while your stomach grumbles (= will the reader enjoy the additional reading)? Only if your boss gives you a raise or tells you that you can have your extra holiday, not if he has another job you need to do before you eat (= only if the added obstacle increases the value of the goal, adds a new twist to the storyline that turns the interpretation of the goal upside down, etc.).


From my experience I would say that adding a meaningful chapter will change everything that comes after it. If it does not change the outcome, it is superfluous and should be cut.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...