Monday, August 31, 2015

career development - How do you best present yourself in a UX job interview?


We have had great questions and answers around looking for and interviewing a UX candidate, but I would like to know about the other side of the table as I have an interview coming up and this would be my first interview around presenting my UX qualifications.


In the past I would mostly show them my design, and talk about it. But, UX is so much more complex than that.


What are the key points I should convey to a potential employer about my UX qualifications



Answer



Here are some tips:




  • 1. Know your self: Identify your core UX skills. You may be specilized in one or more of the following: concept design, interaction design, information architecture, graphic design depending on your school of training.IF you haven't already read Jessee James Garrett's 'The Elements of User Experience' and review the digram articulating the areas and elements within the field. It helps framing your skills, and pointing out 'this is what I do really well, and this is also what I can do'.

  • 2. Understand their POV of UX: Different interviewers have different perception or understanding of UX as a field. Your skills may map to their job description, or they may be expecting additional skills e.g. CSS, javascript, etc. Be prepared to articulate your understanding and POV on UX.

  • 3. Present yourself using a portfolio: In this tell a story. Here are some tips on selling your UX skills:



No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...