Friday, August 14, 2015

vector - How can I create WORKING gears in Illustrator?


I cannot seem to get this right.. I want to create 2 gears that work together.


enter image description here


I can create gears, but I cannot seem to figure out the math needed to make them uniform, or where they work together.


There is a mathematical way to do this. I do not know the formula..




not my artwork


What I tried:



  • Create a circle 800px x 800px

  • Create a circle 600px x 600px

  • Create a star with inner radius 200 (400 diameter), 500 (1000 diameter) outer, with 12 points.

  • Compound the smaller circle and star. Intersect the remainder.


Do the same thing, except half each value and the points.


I would think this would make a 2:1 gear ratio where both gears match exactly, but they don't...



enter image description here



Answer



The same way one would create a real working gear. Here are tools which will create gears:



See the site http://woodgears.ca/ for more information on gears --- they have a Gear template generator as well: http://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/template.html


Alternately, you can draw them by hand --- you just need to use basic geometry to ensure that the diameter of each gear is an integral ratio.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...