Tuesday, August 25, 2015

How to add a shadow border to an image in GIMP


I prepared a square and a triangle in Gimp but I am unable to get a shadow around it. I want it exactly like the image below.



I tried with filter --> lights and shadow --> Drop shadow but it casts a shadow on one side only. In addition on one side there is too much shadow. I was unable to make a shadow on all sides (i.e. completely around the square).


I saw a similar question here, but it is for Photoshop. I don't have Photoshop.


I checked whether the same procedures exist in Gimp, but couldn't find them. I only started Gimp a few days back. Can someone please tell me how to achieve this in Gimp?



Answer



The setting for the Filter - Lights and Shadow - Drop Shadow tool to achieve a shadow around a selected object are as follows:


enter image description here




  • Offset X: how much the shadow moves to the right

  • Offset Y: how much the shadow moves down

  • Blur radius: how "thick" the shadow will be

  • Color: Pick a color to be used for the shadow

  • Opacity: Transparency ("darkness") of the shadow (100: full opaque / 0: invisible)


With the settings above I made a grey shadow around the blue box:


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...