Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Fiction writing: is using Git overkill?



Hope this question isn't off-topic because it involves programming software (for some reason I think many people in this site has used Git, though). Git is a revision control software to keeps track of your changes and revert them in case you messed up something.



Does anyone have any experience writing fiction (or non-fiction) with it?


If so, is it useful? Or it's an overkill?



Answer



I start my documents as "NameOfDocument 000.doc" (or similar, depends on software being used.) Every time I start a writing/editing session on the document, I do a "Save As" and increment the number, before doing anything else. I find the Undo/Redo commands to be sufficient within a session. Exception: If I'm about to perform major surgery, e.g., delete/move large sections, I'll save, then SaveAs with an incremented number. Then I'll make the major changes.


This method works with any software (and any computer task). Storage is MUCH cheaper than your time.


Also, don't forget to copy all those backups to another physical location, or a fire/flood could destroy your magnum opus.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...