Wednesday, April 20, 2016

copyright - How can I establish ownership over my work?


I have an irrational fear of my work being stolen. I understand that this is, realistically, extremely unlikely to happen. There are just too many barriers to something being successfully stolen and sold, and I should be able to put my name and copyright on it and be ready to go.


Unfortunately, that understanding doesn't seem to be sufficient. Despite any rational arguments I make, I still find myself extremely hesitant to share my work and seek feedback - the slim possibility is enough to paralyze me.


So my question is - how can I go about ensuring proof of ownership to reassure my paranoid self? Is there a series of actions I can take, so that in a worst-case scenario I could approach a lawyer and definitively show that I was the original writer?


Note: I'm not sure if this question belongs here or on Law. It is specific to writing (and I am in the US), and I am willing to accept an opinion from someone experienced in copyright/publishing but who is not actually a lawyer.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...