Thursday, April 14, 2016

checkboxes - Reordering Checkbox List on selection


I have a requirement for a user story I am working on requesting that on checking a check box in a check box list, the selected items appear at the top of the list.


My gut is telling me this is confusing for users, but I would like a more "UX-y" type description to provide my Product Owner.



Answer



There are a variety of issues I see with that suggestion, most notably:




  • Breaks Conventions: Checkboxes are a very familiar element on web-pages and that suggestions is considerably different than the very familiar and widespread convention of the list staying static and only the checkbox changing (e.g. toggled as checked/unchecked), and as Jakob Nielsen's Law of the Web User Experience states "users spend most of their time on other websites," so you'd better have a really good reason for flouting established conventions.

  • Off-Page Elements: If there is any chance that the list will expand beyond the 'fold' I can't think of any way to do this interaction gracefully. The user will be presented with A)Items that disappear after they select them or B) A (likely) disruptive animation that jumps them to the top of the list, thereby removing them from the context they had been in.

  • Breaks Sorting: If you have any type of sorting on the list, this movement will make the sorting either inconsistent (i.e. non-checked and checked items will sort differently), or overly convoluted (i.e. sorting overrides the checkbox at top convention, but that convention comes back when user selects another, etc.).


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...