Monday, October 17, 2016

gui design - How can I provide more detail for a UI element when "mouse over" functionality is unavailable?


I have a game for the iPad and there's no "mouse entered" or "mouse hover" functionality on that platform. Within my game I have a hotbar or skill bar like below.


enter image description here


Typically a game that uses such feature has mouse and the player can hover the mouse over the icon to get a small panel with skill name, cost, effects, et cetera.


Since I cannot provide mouse hover tooltips as is typical, what approach should I take to offer detail information to the player? Right now I have a separate skill screen with detailed skill descriptions, and I'm posting the skill name and cost into the chat console on tap.


Should I include names within or under my icons in a hotbar as described above? Introduce long press to display a popup with name and detailed info?



Answer



You can use a menu with options / information, with two interaction options:



Option 1 (I consider this one more intuitive).



  1. Tap -> Opens the menu

  2. Double Tap -> Uses the item directly

  3. Tap option in menu / Tap close button -> Close the menu / Close the menu and perform the action.


Option 2 (This one could work with power users).



  1. Drag -> Open the menu

  2. Tap -> Uses the item directly


  3. Dragend -> Close the menu and use the selected item


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...