Monday, October 24, 2016

animation - How fast should a banner rotate on a website?


Are there any studies or published de-facto standards on how fast the slides of a carousel should change on the homepage of a website?


Here are some examples of sites that incorporate carousels at varying speeds:




Answer



@Denis is quite correct. The only thing I'd add is that a simple way to see what speed you should rotate is to read all the content on each panel out loud (because this forces you not to go too fast), and time how long that takes. Add a little time, and set that as your speed. EDIT @Rob suggests in the comments below that you take 2.5 times the "read-aloud" time, based on guidelines from TV/movie credits and the like.


I find it very irritating when I'm half way through reading something and it flips. And I'm not an especially slow reader! But I do sometimes get distracted looking at something else for a second or two. If in doubt, slow it down.


You can always add an explicit control to move on if needs be.



All that said, @msanford's comment is a very apt one. I'm far from convinced that carousels are an effective way to present information.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...