Saturday, October 8, 2016

The colors hurt my eyes


I've built this BBC feed which people find nicely styled (please ignore the animation glitch - I'm working on it!). However, people have been telling me (and I've felt it also) that the colors hurt their eyes.



Do you think it's the colors that are the problem? How can I make the feed more "gentle" on the eyes?



Answer



In and of themselves the colors are fine; I think it's the particular combination of colors that you are using. The red rgb(192, 55, 47) is at 46% luminance, and your eyes will adjust to that accordingly; but the white text is 100% luminance, which requires your eyes to adjust slightly. On bright enough monitors, it can actually be kind of jarring, although I wouldn't say it's all that bad. If you want to stick with a black background, I would probably just dial down the white a bit, somewhere between 46% and 78% luminance, depending on your audience.


enter image description here
This is 68% luminance. Note that the red text used is all the same color.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...