Sunday, October 23, 2016

style - Punctuating Thoughts


Following my question here I am still unsure if it is a 'hard and fast' rule to italicise thoughts.


My preference is to use normal quotation marks, so that if a person is thinking in a dialogue situation or description, all the text appear normal. I follow British style.


Example




"Are you Ok?" the teacher asked.


"Damn," John thought as he tried to cover his wounded hand.


"Are you OK?" the teacher asked again.




Answer



It's up to you


I personally like to treat thoughts the same as spoken speech, since they are in a different "voice" from the narrator’s.
For me, it’s not a question of what’s spoken out loud, but a way of identify whose perspective is represented by those words.


If there are no quotation marks the perspective is assumed to be the narrator’s, and that’s the wrong interpretation.



You won’t be wrong, as long as you’re consistent and the writing isn't confusing.


I prefer to avoid italics, since they have yet another pre-existing meaning, but it can be helpful if you find it necessary to distinguish strongly between spoken and thought words.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...