Tuesday, April 10, 2018

adobe photoshop - Colour overlay while maintaining shadows/highlights



I'm working on a car signage concept in Photoshop. To achieve (reasonable) realism with the white sticker I simply knocked back the opacity a little. I think it gives the illusion of white but with the shadows and highlights of the car contours evident.


enter image description here


However, the bottom panel has a blue/cyan background. This too should be affected by the shadows and highlights. Below you can see how terrible it looks without showing the underlying contouring.


enter image description here


I had (arrogantly) assumed this would be solved with one of the layer blend modes, probably "hue". After fifteen years I still don't know what they do of the top of my head and I generally click through them until one works! To my amazement, none will accomplish this. Probably because the hue is so much lighter, I really don't know.


In fact the "hue" blend mode does (somewhat) realistically change the colour, but to a deep purple, not the intended cyan. "Screen" with lowered opacity isn't bad...but I am sure there is a simple way!


How would you go about realistically changing the colour of that lower panel to blue/cyan, whilst maintaining the shadows and highlights?



Answer



New answer with a specific color, it's easier.


Select the area and create a New Layer Via Copy



To this layer > Menu Image > Adjustments > Desaturate


desaturated


Using the same selection, create a Solid Color Layer with the specific color and change the blending method to Color


pantone


Or just create a Solid Color Layer with the specific color, change the blending method to Color and group it with the Desaturated layer.


group


Result:


color2


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...