Sunday, April 29, 2018

portfolio - Is a graphical/original resume a good idea for a designer?


This is more a question about graphic design as a field than about methods.


I am applying for web designer jobs out there, and have been wondering more and more about my resume. I have a quite correct but very classical resume: photo, text, and voilà.


I am hesitating more and more on create a more graphical resume (more original arrangement, maybe even an infographics). I am not worried by my ability to do it, but more by its reception.



No matter how "cool" the company is, I still imagine the recruiting person as a stern "suit guy", who might not appreciate this kind of initiative. And I can't really send the basic resume and the original one, and a note "Here is my fun resume, but if you are a boring person, my boring resume is attached."


So, if possible based on personal experience, is a graphical/original resume a good idea for a designer kind of job?


What is the average ratio of companies where it would help? (if 1 company out of 100 would like it, but the others like it, well, that might be problematic.)


Is there a "too much" line not to cross?



Answer



As someone who looked over résumés, I would be more impressed by a résumé which was elegant and a little different but readable than something with enormous graphics, fancy fonts, or blinking text. Or glitter.


Remember that the readers are going over dozens of résumés in every batch. They need to look for keywords, for skills, and for experience. A nicely-designed résumé will be more memorable, but if it's too fancy, I won't be able to find quickly where you've spent 10 years working in magazine layout.


My personal rule of thumb would be "no fancier than a formal wedding invitation," if that makes sense.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...