Tuesday, June 26, 2018

How to crop an image in Illustrator?


I've read a few tutorials but I'm still new to Illustrator. Currently, I am trying to work with a sketch that I am trying to position on the artboard. If I were to resize the entire shape the sketch is drawn on to within the bounds of the artboard, however, the sketch would be too small. How can I crop or otherwise keep the sketch the same size as it is in the image below, while keeping the shape it is on within the artboard?


enter image description here



Answer




You can not crop raster images in Illustrator. At least not with the standard Adobe installation.



You can utilize clipping masks if that helps.



  • Draw a rectangle above the raster image.

  • Select both the rectangle and the image

  • choose Object > Clipping Mask > Make.


This will hide a portion of the raster image but will not remove it.


If you need the raster image cropped, standard procedure is to crop the raster image in a raster editing application, such as Photoshop, before placing or importing the image into Illustrator.


There is a third party plug in titled Rasterino from www.astutegraphics.com which will crop raster images from within Illustrator.




Select the image, and click the Crop Image button on the Control bar across the top of the screen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...