Monday, June 11, 2018

terminology - When did UX start being called UX?


When did people start talking about User Experience as a role/domain similar to the way that it's used today?


The earliest reference I can find is the Norman, Miller, Henderson CHI 95 piece on Apple's set up (Donald Norman, Jim Miller, Austin Henderson: What You See, Some of What's in the Future, And How We Go About Doing It: HI at Apple Computer. Proceedings of CHI 1995, Denver, Colorado, USA)


Anything earlier?


[Edit - after @Andrew's nice answer we have 1993 as an earlier date




"I invented the term because I thought Human Interface and usability were too narrow: I wanted to cover all aspects of the person's experience with a system, including industrial design, graphics, the interface, the physical interaction, and the manual." - Don Norman



]


(I'm writing a talk on communities of practice relating to UX - and want to get my time lines right ;-)




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...