Friday, May 15, 2015

adobe photoshop - What should I do regarding color profile when designing for the web?


I have read this article by Doug Avery where he explains how to disable Color Management in Adobe Photoshop and the follow-up article in response to the uproar of the commenters arguing against it and supporting sRGB, although I am still not convinced on what technique I should apply in my personal workflow.
From what I've gathered while reading the article (please correct me if I'm wrong), the correct way to deal with this would be to have Photoshop manage the colors as sRGB and making use of Proof Colors when in need for a more "faithful" preview of the your work.


At the moment I have an entire website project that has been designed with color profiles disabled. I started on it that way because months ago I had noticed that the colors Photoshop rendered, although reported correctly by Photoshop's own Eyedropper Tool, did not correspond when measured from a screenshot to what I was seeing in Google Chrome when opening the image exported as a PNG.

After a quick search I came across the post I cited earlier and applied its suggestions blindly (without even noticing the follow-up nor reading about the problems with it). Since then, I've had no problems: I take screenshots of my work in Photoshop and I upload them for the developer to make use of. He gets to see the same colors I see and use when developing the design, and I don't have to jump through hoops to see what I'm actually doing.


My questions:




  • Is it really necessary to use sRGB in a web design (I understand the implications of not using it in something like photography or print) when it only adds more work by forcing you to use Proof Colors? (That's just how I see it, please correct me if I'm wrong)




  • Since saving with an ICC Profile will lead to some browsers correctly applying the profile while others ignore it, the article also says that it's probably the best idea to just design with sRGB and then save without the ICC Profile. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of using the color profile in the first place? Or am I misinterpreting what the article says?







No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...