Thursday, May 14, 2015

usability - What is the difference between spatial analogy and perceptual analogy in Natural mapping


I am reading Norman's book, The design of everyday things where I came upto the natural mapping part. There, he defined 3 kinds of natural mapping.


1- Spatial
2- Cultural
3- Perceptual


Now, In spatial, he says, a control can be used to move the object up and down. And In perceptual, he gives example of car seat controls to move the car seat. Now I am confused what is the actual difference between these two? Isn't moving the object up and down or moving the seat with controls are same. I know, I am missing something, so if anyone know, please clear me about this problem and help me to understand it. Thank you.



Answer



Spatial controls move objects. Perceptual controls move the controller.


For example, a jet pilot uses perceptual controls to move himself and the plane. However, a drone pilot uses spatial controls to move only the drone: he remains stationary.


Said another way, think of it like the rectangle-square relation: all perceptual controls are also spatial, but not all spatial controls are perceptual. If a control modifies the world perception of the controller, it is perceptual (as well as spatial).


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...