Friday, April 21, 2017

citations - Correct usage/explanation of ibid in referencing


My girlfriend was advised to use Ibid in her assignment's citations to help reduce the word count (I pointed out that references are usually not part of the count, but regardless); but she couldn't grasp the concept or why Ibid would be used.


I explained that it would typically be used when writing footnotes1 and that 

the material you were referencing2 is the same, and used in more than one place3.


^1: Anon, Lorem Ipsum (SE Publishing, 1999), p23
^2: Ibid.
^3: Ibid., p30

My argument was that you would save redundancy, by not having to write out the author name/title again, as well as provide a logical way of keeping footnotes numbered (1,2,3..) rather than (1,1,1,2) if the same work was cited more than once.


Is my understanding correct? Could anyone clarify and explain it in a better way?



Answer




You are right. "ibid" is short for "ibidem", meaning "in the same place". It is used to not repeat the same title again and again.


Also have a look at this question:
Vancouver system, citing multiple sentences from the same book


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...