Monday, April 24, 2017

Screen size to start designing in Android?


I am newbie at working with android.


I have read several uxexchange questions here, articles etc. but I am still struggling on which size of screen should I start for the android app we need to work?


I have read the guidelines also in android but I still don't understand. My head is a mess with all the dpi, dp, the formula they give...I don't know where to go/start...I'm lost.


The app we need to work has as target devices the followings: Motorola TC55 and Samsung Galaxy S4 mini


I know for mobile the best is to start designing with the smallest screen. So, in my case, which should be? I'm working with fireworks/photoshop...so I only have the option there to manage px...which size should the screen be? which dpi resolution?


and if you could let me know, how did you arrive to that resolution I would be entirely grateful. I would like to understand android screen way of thinking. =S


Could you help me please?



Answer




At the time of writing:




  • Low-end smartphones and older generation smartphones generally have 3.5in screens at 480x320 resolution. For example, Alcatel One Touch Fire (FirefoxOS) and iPhone 3GS (iOS).




  • Mid-range smartphones usually come in with at least a 4in to 4.3in screen and a 800x480 to 540x960 resolution. Examples are Samsung Galaxy S "Mini" series (S Advance, S3 Mini, S4 Mini).




  • Higher-end phones come in 4.7in to 5in, with resolutions that go up as far as 1280x800 to 1080x1920. This would be seen in Samsung Galxy S3 and higher. iPhone has stuck with 4in in the iPhone 5, but is denser (more pixels per inch).





These should be good for starters.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...