Sunday, April 16, 2017

Which techniques can I use to become a better editor when editing my own writing?


I'm looking to improve my ability to edit and correct my own writing. What are some techniques I can use to help me with this?



Answer



Here are a few editing tips that I use when going through manuscript for publishers:



  1. Do a search for the word “that.” Read the sentence aloud. If the sentence makes sense without the word “that,” please delete this word.

  2. Do a search for the word “it.” If at all possible, replace the word “it” with a more concrete noun or phrase. Example: It didn’t matter. = The crappy weather didn’t matter.

  3. Read through your manuscript and look for overused words or phrases. If your character is rolling his eyes three times on one page, change two of them to something else. If you use the word “hand” six times in 2 paragraphs, find another way to describe what’s happening using other words.

  4. Read through your manuscript and look for redundancy – He shrugged his shoulders. He nodded his head. A person ONLY shrugs their shoulders or nods their head, so “his shoulders” and “his head” are not needed. He shrugged. He nodded.



Using these four tips should really help tighten up your manuscript.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...