Thursday, April 6, 2017

mobile - When is it appropriate to split functionality into separate apps?


I'm a designer and my company has a single app that serves two different types of user.


One group is the general public, who uses the app to navigate big events (e.g. annual user group meeting sessions, exhibitors, connect with other attendees).


The second group is staff. They primarily access the profiles created by general users. They can add details, e.g. notes about conversations with them.


We have been asked to provide more 'staff' functionality. The app is getting quite large. I remember hearing that an app shouldn't be too "deep" (I think at an NNG course probably 2 yrs ago)... I think we can avoid a drill-down nightmare, but am worried about how large the footprint is getting.


Is there a rule of thumb for when to create a separate app, vs. wedging a lot of functionality into one? And/or can someone point me to a resource?





No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...