Monday, April 10, 2017

workflow - How do I speed up my design work?



I've been a designer for 6 months, having previously had a 1st class honours degree in Graphic Communication. My issue is that I am a Very good designer, but I work too slow. It's beginning to drive a rift between myself and the creative director who desperately wants me to work quicker. I've always been a workaholic even in university, I put in 110% all the time, really work my ass off, but I'm still not fast enough to complete projects quickly, my work is good, but it's not efficient.


Do you guys have any tips to help me speed up?



Answer



"Don't let the perfect become the enemy of the good."


Are you trying to produce a perfect, finished product every time? Are you spending so much time looking for the perfect font, tuning just the right shade of blue, aligning all your boxes across six spreads, that it's half past supper and you're only a third done the brochure?


Maybe your problem is the 110%. Not every flyer is the Mona Lisa. Try narrowing down your choices (pick four favorite colors, pick six favorite fonts, only give yourself half an hour for photo research) and see if that helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...