Friday, April 21, 2017

font recommendation - Visually similar alternatives to Helvetica?


I'd like to use something similar-but-different for my poster project.


I've already ruled out:



  • Arial


  • Avant Garde/Futura - too geometric

  • Frutiger - too humanist /'friendly'


I guess I'm looking for something that will be a close match in most of its shapes but will have enough points of difference to make people (OK, other designers) wonder what I've used. e.g. a single story 'a' or distinctly different 'g'.


Please include a visual example if possible, and include some reasons why each font would be a good choice; I'm after a smallish number of well-thought-out suggestions, and definitely not a bare list.


For Bounty


I (Ryan, whom is editing this) asked what is meant by dated. This was the response, Michael Lai gave me:



There have been questions about free alternatives to Helvetica and also similar fonts to Helvetica Neue, but the answers were based on available fonts from at least a couple years ago and I would like to know if there have been changes or new fonts since. Also, it is best to get a visual comparison between fonts if possible (e.g. by overlaying them over one another).





Answer



Folio Medium



  • counters in C, c and e have similarly closed feeling

  • bowls in a, b, d, g, p & q are relatively wider

  • arches in m & n are sharper

  • x-height slightly lower

  • slightly more condensed

  • distinct Q

  • has the Helvetica arrowyness in G and overall many similar letters





And as Philip Regan already pointed out:


Univers Medium



  • slightly wider, except a

  • x-height slightly lower

  • wider tracking

  • overall more modern, especially the distinct G and Q

  • counters in C and c are more open





Both have the same Helveticy firmness in the capital letters. Both also come in different flavours.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...