Friday, April 28, 2017

navigation - Double click to edit, but how to navigate?



We are working on a online dictionary tool, e.g. you have different dictionaries that you can browse.


Now we would like the possibility to in-place-edit the settings by double-clicking on the text. E.g. in the first picture, if you click on the description, the languages, etc. the screen switches into edit mode (picture 2).


The same happens currently if you click on the title (Remy Test), but we also need the option to browse the dictionary, e.g. the title should be a normal link. But then the double-click does not work anymore. We rather don't have a "Browse" link/button, since this is the main function and I think clicking on the title is obvious enough. But then we have this half-backed edit-mode. And we really do like the double-click edit idea too.


Any ideas? I know we could just add an edit button, but....


enter image description here


enter image description here



Answer



Double clicking to edit something that looks like an

tag is a really unconventional behaviour to use in a browser environment, and to my experience double clicks as a whole are very rarely seen. I could imagine a scenario where a user hysterically double clicks a range of labels just to be annoyed that they don't understand which ones are editable and which are not.


You say you don't want an edit button, but you still want the headers to work as links. Personally I think that some sort of indication that a label is editable and a separate button to initiate this is the way to go. I'll attach a mockup of how I would try and solve it.


enter image description here



enter image description here


I would add a small subtle icon to indicate that an item is editable, just noticable but not obstructive. And on hover I would let the icon enlarge an work as the Edit CTA/Button to let the user edit the label.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...