Thursday, February 8, 2018

Do You Use Any Version Controlling Software/Methods As Writers?



As writers, do you use any version controlling software to track and monitor what you write? For example, if you accidentally deleted or overwritten a paragraph that you'd like to have it back?



Usually what I do is to save multiple copies with incremental numbers, but I find that this isn't a good method because I end up with a folder full of word documents of the same file + changes. It isn't really easy to organise because of it.


(Storyname 1, Storyname 2, Storyname 3, ...)


This isn't necessary a question about programs, but version controlling software used for writing/writers, methods, tricks, ...



Answer



I am a programmer in real life, so using a version control software was a no-brainer for me. I write stuff in plain text, with each chapters in a separate text file.


I use Subversion on them, with TortoiseSVN on Windows, and also use a Dropbox for backing up my repository.


This way I have my changes versioned, I can comment the changes I commit, and if my hard drive decides to die, I can be back really quick.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...