Monday, March 25, 2019

metrics - How much time do you spend writing one page on average?



I'm writing a technical book about one programming technology and would like to compare how much time other authors spend on one page (on average). I rarely write a page and am done with it, quite usually there is a lot of restructuring, refining and formatting going on after that.


I'd say I spend about 1.5 - 2 hours on every page, that time being roughly divided this way:



  • ~1 hour writing (creating the original rough content)

  • ~0.5h refining and improving style

  • ~0.25h formatting (applying styles, creating screenshots etc.)



What are your usual times?


EDIT: I feel that the question has been misunderstood or possibly not very well written so I'm adding these points:



  • I'm interested in your experience, not estimates.

  • I'm interested in the average time - a single number, hopefully with some insights into how that time is split. You've written a book with 300 pages and it took you e.g. 1000 hours - that's what I'm after.

  • Where I live, the page is defined as 1800 characters with spaces but it doesn't matter. See the point above.


Thanks for all who answered so far, although this question has quite a few downvotes I am still interested in your experience.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...