Tuesday, May 14, 2019

adobe photoshop - How can I fix the edges of foreground objects pasted onto a new background?


How can I cut out a foreground object, e.g. a person, from one picture and superimpose it onto a new background without making the edges look bad?


The problem I've come across is that if I have for example a white background and a dark blue object, there are some pixels at the edge of the object that are various lighter blue shades. If it were a black background instead, those pixels should be darker shades of blue instead of lighter; how can I change them appropriately when I want to replace the background? It's not too hard to fix this when I just have two colours, but what about when the imaged is varied, like with a photo of a person outdoors? I've tried blurring the edges of the object into the background, which is not awful but the edges don't look crisp enough.


I use Photoshop CS5 if there's a specific PS way of doing this.



Answer



This is called defringing, and Photoshop has a Defringe tool right under Layer > Matting.


However, you might not even need that tool in most cases if you're using the Quick Select with Refine Edge in CS5, or the Extract filter in earlier versions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...