Monday, May 20, 2019

writers block - The psychology of starting a piece of writing



I have a problem when it comes to writing (blog posts, stories and novels). It might just be me, but maybe other people have experienced it too? When I come to start writing, my ideas before I sit down seem wonderful. But just recently, as soon as I see that blank page, it seems like all my enthusiasm drains out of me and I feel like what I'm going to write is utter rubbish - trite and derivative. Consequently I can't start writing.


I know that these states of mind are built on passing, ephemeral thoughts, but they are pervasive and fill me with alternating enthusiasm and dread.


The irony is - I love to write. I am eager to get to my computer to start on my latest idea. But the blank page stops me dead. It seems to glare at me malevolently. Does anyone else experience this, and if so, have they found a way around it?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...