Tuesday, May 28, 2019

website design - Are HTTP error codes user-friendly?


error 502


Why do we still have these HTTP error codes?


For me it seems like they are completely useless for the user (not for all but most of them). It says nothing helpful (look at the screenshot above, it even doesn't says it's "an error") and explains nothing so I believe users are confused. And AFAIK it's a common way of representing HTTP error codes.


I believe browsers (for example) could handle these things somehow so original message will still be available for technical purposes but users will got more value.


So why they are still here? Is it possible to handle these codes more gently?


Update: why these errors could not be handled by the browsers? Or maybe there are any limitations? Incompatible design doesn't seems to be a problem for me, and I'm sure that standard views will improve UX because of similarity (errors will look similar for every site). And now I have to parse every cool designed error page to understand that happened.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...