Friday, May 31, 2019

style - Choosing character names is a constant difficulty


I find it hard to name my characters. Every normal name sounds funny if applied to a product of my fantasy. If I take a common name, I may get the image of someone I know into my head. And that may influence my vision of the character in a way I didn't intended. If I choose an uncommon name or invent a name (for a fantasy story for example) it sounds silly to me. How do you name the characters of your story?



Answer



So Sméagol, Gandalf and Bilbo Baggins do not sound silly?



Honestly, don't care too much, if they sound silly or not. First, you can change them, second, I've read some great stories with very silly named characters.


If you want make up fantasy names and have no good idea how to start, here is what I do:



  • Find out what the profession/status of this character is (Let's say, he is the elder of a village)

  • Play with this profession/title. Put it in reverse: elder -> Redle - Would that be a good name?

  • Play with the acronym: The elder of the village -> TEOTV -> Teotev? Totav? Teotive? Totiv? Theotrev?

  • Put some accent and apostrophes in it. People love that: Téo'tev, The'òtrev

  • Translate the profession/title into a different language (I prefer Latin). Play with that word accordingly.

  • Well, just play :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...