Thursday, May 16, 2019

gimp - What's the most efficient way to "blank" old comic word balloons while retaining paper texture?


I'm taking very old (1940s and '50s) comics and trying to remove the text from some of their word balloons. I don't want to just erase their contents to pure white space, though, as the paper colour and texture isn't pure white; it's slightly yellowed, and grainy (paper quality back then wasn't great). What I'd like to end up with is something that looks like the original scan as though the comic was never lettered.


At the moment, I'm trying to find the largest blank space possible inside a given word balloon, copy the best square or circle I can fit inside it, and paste that square or circle repeatedly to cover the text. This is painstaking, and also results in an end effect that's kind of weird in and of itself, as I have the same bit of texture repeating over and over and over.


I've tried "smudging" results, but that gives me something that's again kind of weird-looking. What would you suggest?


Currently using Seashore on the Mac, but I could also use GIMP.


EDIT: Sample comic enclosed by request. Note that the paper in the word balloons and captions has a colour and texture that I'd like to preserve.


Sample comic



Answer



With Gimp comes a plugin Resynthesize together with a Python script Heal Selection. On Linux the plugin is contained in the package gimp-plugin-registry.



After selecting an area with the select tool:


enter image description here


We can "heal" this selection from "Filters > Enhance > Heal selection...". Here I made a random healing with 10 pixels from the surrounding:


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...