Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Looking for a Japanese font to match Garamond


Question: I'm currently taking a Japanese History course, and typing up (what I believe to be) a very pretty set of course notes. However, I'm having trouble finding an appropriate font. I'm currently using one of my Chinese fonts which has a medium calligraphic style to it, however it doesn't have great Japanese support. I am strongly preferential to free fonts, for the obvious reason of being a poor university student.



I've searched for Japanese fonts across the internet but I'm having significant trouble finding a Japanese font that matches my body text (EB Garamond). If anyone can point me in the right direction that'd be amazing. enter image description here (Please pay no attention to the grammatical/spelling errors, this is from the latest class period and hasn't been edited yet)


OP's comments: This was originally on the Japanese SE website, but they quickly closed and deleted it without consideration of the fact that their community was probably the single best resources for this topic.



Answer



My computer seems to have Kozuka Mincho Pro, which has a huge base of glyphs. Even some white-on black kanji and a large selection in both hiragana and katakana. The font came, as far as I know, with my copy of Adobe CS3.


Kozuka Mincho Pro selection


A Google made me find it available for free both at http://fontpark.net/en/font/kozuka-mincho-pro-r/# and http://www.azfonts.net/load_font/kozgopro_regular.html. I have no experience with either site, though.


Edit: I forgot the 'calligraphic' part of your question. My apologies. A good alternative might be DFKai-SB. It's not as thorough or deep as Kozuka, but I guess it will do the job you want it to.


DFKai-SB selection


I was able to find it for free here: http://fontzone.net/font-details/DFKai-SB/


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...