Wednesday, November 27, 2019

accessibility - Best way to link to PDFs/Word docs/etc?


I need to include links to PDFs, Word docs and other document types on a web page. A lot of sites display an icon for the file type, plus the file size. I'm inclined to remove both the icon and file size, on the basis that the icon complicates the page layout, and many web pages are larger than many PDFs, but they don't have a file size shown to the user.


Instead, my proposed default behaviour is to just have a regular link which opens the document type in a new window. The page copy could say "All documents are PDFs and open in a new window" or similar. Any thoughts on the merits/pitfalls of this approach, particularly in relation to mobile devices?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...