Monday, November 4, 2019

website design - changing a web browsers default scroll bar advice


So, I want to change my browsers scroll bar to something a little nicer looking like the scrollbar that www.twitch.tv uses.


But then I noticed that not many other websites change their scrollbars. Is there a reason for this?


Is it best to leave these as default?



Answer



Well, even if this is kinda off topic, I feel like answering it anyway.


The main trouble with the default scroolbar is the browser compatibility, if you code it yourself you will never get a one-script-for-all solution, you will have to code another line for almost each browser out there and it's not easy, especially if you want it to work on relic versions of grandpa IE...


BUT, lucky for you, others have already thought about that and put together solutions for most of the browsers out there and as of version 3 I see they got down to IE6 as well.


I present to you, jQuery Nicescroll 3.



I have played with it in the past and it works nicely, it also has a smooth scroll feature and the colors, thickness, rail and more of the scrollbar features are customizable. It works on both desktop and mobile and it's VERY simple to install.


Best of luck !


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...