Sunday, December 15, 2019

adobe photoshop - Copy the result of an effect on one layer to a new layer


I have a rectangular shape that has a colour overlay and drop shadow in a layer. Now, I want to create a new layer containing only a rasterized version of the effect from the current layer.


To put it simply:


Layer 1: Shape + shape-drop-shadow; (Create new Layer 2) Layer 2: shape-drop-shadow;


Meaning, I'm not looking for how to copy effects between layers, but rather the actual result of the effect of one layer to a new layer.



Answer



Try the following:




  1. Select the layer you want to copy.

  2. CTRL+J to duplicate it.

  3. Right-click the new layer and select Rasterize Layer Style.

  4. CTRL+ click the shape icon in the new layer in the layer palette to select it and press DELETE to keep just the effect.


EDIT: Missed the part about the color overlay, my answer works for the drop shadow and other effects outside of the shape.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...