Monday, December 30, 2019

word choice - How much swearing is TOO much? (And how much is not enough?)


I've noticed that some of the most successful writers refrain from using profanity, such as Stephanie Meyer and Norman Mailer. Are readers turned off by swearing in books?


More importantly, is it wrong to use profanity? Is it bad writing?


Should I replace my shits with "sh*ts"?



Answer



I think that technically the only reason not to use profanity in your writing when you want it is if censorship will prevent you from reaching your target audience.



For example, you want tweens to read your book but their fucking parents won't let them because of the fucking swearing.


Swearing is like salt on food though, too much or on the wrong dishes can just make you seem like you don't know what you're doing. If there's too much salt then you can get tired of the taste.


There's a book called Watch Your F*cking Language: How To Swear Effectively. I haven't read it myself but I've been wanting to pick it up.


Don't try to pander to people's tastes.


Your writing will appeal as a whole to your audience. If you cut out the swearing for the sake of the few who don't like swearing, then you may degrade the quality of expression of your work. At the same time, removing the swearing does not necessarily please the people who would already dislike your work anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...